For full details of our rates charges, see the 10-Year Plan extract at the bottom of this page.
- fixed charges are made to cover the costs of services which can be identified by property (water supply, wastewater disposal, recycling)
- each property with a similar service pays the same fixed amount
- significant non-residential water users are metered
Uniform annual general charge
- a uniform annual general charge is applied to all rateable properties within Palmerston North
- it ensures each property contributes a minimum amount of the general rate and moderates rates on high value properties
- the uniform general charge for 2018-19 is $690
Each property is charged a general rate – based on land value – with different rates (differentials) applying to each property category.
The categories in the Council's differential rating scheme reflect differing property uses:
- single unit residential
- multi-unit residential
- rural and semi-serviced
Differential surcharges (a higher rate in the dollar) are applied to multi-unit residential and commercial/industrial properties. Single unit residential and rural/semi-serviced properties are charged lower rates.
Single unit residential
- one house on one section
- a single dwelling with flat attached
- Two or more houses, flats or apartments on one certificate of title
- property used for business or industry
Rural and semi-serviced
- land that doesn't have access to Council wastewater services
- miscellaneous describes a range of property uses, including home-based businesses, commercial/industrial in the rural area, and some categories of vacant land