Each year we reseal a number of roads around our city, but this year we’ve made the call early so we can give you plenty of notice.
Road resealing plays two vital roles – it waterproofs the road and protects the structure underneath, limiting potholes and reducing road failures. It also makes the road smoother to ride on. As a result, our roads are safer, and there are also significant cost savings. By taking care of the underground structure, it doesn’t need to be replaced as often.
Roads being resealed this year include portions of College Street, Ferguson Street, No 1 Line, Tremaine Ave, Tennent Drive and Milson Line. See the full list.
Traffic management, including stop/go signals, road closures, and lane closures will be needed for some of the work. Most of the work will happen on weekdays as the associated noise is too loud to do in residential areas at night. Some of the materials will also require daytime temperatures. We’re trying to limit work around peak periods where possible.
We know when people see road cones around the city it can be frustrating, but cones are also a sign that we’re keeping you safe, creating or maintaining the services you need, and keeping up with our city’s growth.
The roads being resealed are determined predominantly by damage, age of the road, daily user numbers and the weight and types of vehicles using the road. There is a chance that the list could change if a higher priority road is determined.
Residents and businesses along these streets will receive a letter ahead of the work. With the major streets, we’ll also provide updates on our Facebook page and with media. This page will also be updated if timeframes change.
The first major road to be resealed is Tennent Drive near the Old West Road intersection.
Road resealing is just one part of how we keep you safe on our roads. If you’re ever concerned about a road, we encourage you to get in touch, or take a photo and let us know using the Snap Send Solve app.
Note, this list is alphabetical, not in order of work. We'll add dates as they're confirmed, here and on our roadworks page.
- Armstrong St (Francis to end)
- Bourke Street (Cuba to Walding)
- College Street (Botanical to Cook)
- College Street (Maxwell to Pitama)
- College Street (Pitama to Botanical)
- Ferguson Street (Botanical to Cook)
- Ferguson Street (Cook to Pitt)
- Ferguson Street (Victoria to Albert)
- Heretaunga Street (Featherston to Grey) This work will take place on Saturdays.
- Heretaunga Street (Tremaine to Featherston)
- Highbury Ave (Tremaine to Pembroke)
- Highbury Ave (Pembroke to Botanical)
- Karamu St (Featherston to Mahoe)
- Kelvin Grove Rd (Kaimanawa to Peter Hall)
- Kingston St (London to Ferguson)
- Kingston St (College to London)
- Koromiko Ave (Rangiora to Ruahine)
- Mahoe Ave (Wood to Karamu)
- Milson Line (Flygers to Bunnythorpe)
- No 1 Line (Rongotea to crossing)
- No 1 Line (Crossing to 200 No 1 line)
- No 1 Line (200 No 1 Line to Tremaine)
- Pascal Street (Featherston to Cuba)
- Robinson Cres (Havelock to Havelock)
- Ruapehu Drive (Summerhill to Cashmere)
- Rugby Street (Maxwells to Newbury)
- Seddon Street (Tremaine to Featherston)
- Shamrock St (Chelwood to Pioneer)
- Taonui Street (Featherston to Walding)
- Tennent Drive (Monro Hill to Old West Rd) starting Monday 16 November
- Tremaine Ave (Turakina to Highbury)
- Waldegrave St (Cuba to Featherston)
- Willis St (Cook to Domain)
- Wyndham St (Alexander to culdesac)
- Escort Grove (Totara to culdesac)
- Florence Ave (Russell to Heretaunga)
- Hillcrest Drive (Rhodes to Peter Hall)
- Lydia Pl (Heights to culdesac)
- Newbury Street (Ferguson to culdesac)
- Parnell Heights Drive (James to McLeavey)
- Pembroke Street (Monrad to Highbury)
- Peters Ave (Gillespies to end)
- Rosalie Terrace (Roberts to Rodeo)
- Sefton Ave (Ellesmere to Ellesmere)
- Sutherland Crescent (Tremaine to Tremaine)